Hearing aid technology is rapidly changing and improving. Today’s hearing aids are smaller and more technologically advanced than ever before! Most are rechargeable, connect via Bluetooth to your smartphone, stream phone calls, and do so much more. Even with all of these technological advances, hearing aid manufacturers are continuing to develop hearing aids with new features that fit your lifestyle.
Charlotte Speech and Hearing Center has direct relationships with all of the major, global hearing instrument manufacturers. The manufacturers that we work with most closely are Starkey and Phonak; both of these companies have just introduced new technology that we are excited to share with you.
Starkey Genesis AI Technology
Starkey, the only hearing instrument manufacturer based out of the United States, recently released a new hearing technology system- Genesis AI. According to their press release, “Completely reimagined from the inside out, it’s the only hearing technology system to feature an all-new processor, all-new sound, all-new industrial design, all-new fitting software, and all-new patient experience.” Here are some highlights of this new line:
- The all-new Starkey Neuro Processor features the industry’s most advanced processor technology which mimics the function of the central auditory system through a Deep Neural Network (DNN) on-chip accelerator and automatic functions.
- Starkey’s new Neuro Sound Technology provides the best hearing experience for patients in all situations. Genesis AI’s improved performance levels are unlike anything else in the industry, while doubling the battery life.
- Genesis AI features an all-new sleek, discreet and stylish aesthetic product design that’s durable and comfortable for all-day wear, and which helps break barriers and reduce the stigma of what is hearing care technology today.
Starkey leads the hearing industry as it relates to incorporating health and wellness features into hearing aids, including being the first to enable counting steps. Starkey was also the first hearing manufacturer — and still the only — to make hearing aids that can detect falls and send alerts.
Phonak Lumity Technology
In addition to Starkey, Phonak recently unveiled Lumity, the new hearing aid platform for fully immersive conversations in virtually any situation. Angela Pelosi, Director of Global Audiology for Phonak said, “Despite many significant advancements in hearing aid functionality and ease of use, hearing care professionals and their clients continue to ask for ways to enhance what is the most basic but still the most important purpose of a hearing aid: better speech understanding. With Lumity, we’re delivering on that front with technology that offers our best performance in speech understanding, even in loud noise environments.” Some features of Lumity include:
- Phonak SmartSpeech Technology focuses on improved speech understanding and reduced listening effort, particularly in challenging environments. The wearer will be able to fully immerse in conversations and enjoy easier hearing in many situations, in quiet or even in environments with background noise, such as a restaurant.
- Lumity delivers a new dimension in directional microphone technology with improved speech detection and speech understanding through new StereoZoom 2.0 and SpeechSensor.
- Phonak Audeo Lumity is also available as Phonak Audéo Life, designed to help people get immersed in their experiences with a hearing aid that is waterproof and tested beyond IP68 rating for not only fresh water, but also salt or pool water and sweat.
As you can clearly see, there have been so many developments in hearing aids technology! CSHC is thrilled to offer these options to our patients and continue empowering and transforming lives through our services!
Phonak Audéo Lumity is now available at CSHC. Ask your Audiologist about our latest hearing technology options during your next appointment! To schedule, you can call our office at 704-523-8027 or click to contact us. We look forward to serving you!
Blog written by Ron Binkley, Board-certified Hearing Instrument Specialist for Charlotte Speech and Hearing Center