CSHC has tremendous impact on individuals, families, schools, and our community by providing over 100,000 services to nearly 4,000 individuals every year. The majority of these services are provided through our community outreach programs.
You want your child to know how much you love him, and I felt I couldn’t even communicate that to him. But he came here and something clicked. It’s like the Center discovered the missing pieces, and for that, I considered this place a blessing.
We have three primary community outreach programs: the Community Language/ Literacy Impact Program, Hearing Services Bank, and our Assistance Fund.
Community Language/ Literacy Impact Program (CLIP)
Firstly, CSHC’s Community Language/ Literacy Impact Program (CLIP) promotes kindergarten readiness for low-income and at-risk children. Through long-standing and emerging partnerships, our program reaches areas where resources are scarce but the need is high.
CLIP uses a threefold approach to make a significant impact on the 2000+ preschool aged children we serve each year:
- Prevention- Our expertly-trained Speech-Language Pathologists provide training and workshops to approximately 550 caregivers who work with children. These trainings help caregivers to build and strengthen key language and early literacy skills in the home and childcare environment.
- Early Identification Services- Our SLPs identify children with developmental delays and connect them with the help they need before they fall behind in school. Each year, we provide approximately 1800 screenings, most provided at no cost, for children in the Charlotte and Monroe areas.
- Intervention- Our SLPs provide direct individual treatment as well as inclusion (natural environment) services in the classroom setting. These services focus on improving vocabulary, phonological awareness, and other critical skills for the children at hand.
Hearing Services Bank
Secondly, our Hearing Services Bank program is absolutely unique within the 10-county Charlotte Metro Area. This program provides brand new, digital and programmable hearing devices to those in need at a price they can afford. The Hearing Services Bank program is available for those who qualify, based on household income. In short, what most hearing healthcare facilities charge thousands for, we can offer for under $100.
Because hearing loss effects nearly 1 in 5 individuals, our services are invaluable to many in our community. Charlotte Speech and Hearing Center has been providing excellent clinical care to individuals of all income levels for nearly 50 years.
Thirdly, our Assistance Fund provides high-quality speech-language therapy services at significantly discounted pricing for low-income families. Furthermore, these discounts provide a life-line to families who do not have insurance coverage or who have steep deductible or co-pay requirements.
At CSHC we are proud to partner with many wonderful organizations that have goals and a mission similar to ours. These partnerships help us maximize the reach of our programs and impact on our community. Overall, our community partnerships include:
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Libraries
- Read Charlotte
- United Way of Central Carolinas
- Share Charlotte
- Alexander Youth Network
- Bethlehem Center Head Start
- Charlotte Bilingual Preschool
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- Howard Levine Child Development Center
- Lakewood Preschool
- Milestone Therapy
- North Carolina’s Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Program
- North Carolina Telecoil Program
- Renaissance West Community Initiative
- Council on Aging
- Child Care Resources, Inc.
- The Learning Collaborative
- Veritas Charter School
- Charlotte Secondary Charter School