CSHC has tremendous impact on individuals, families, schools and our community by providing over 100,000 services to nearly 4,000 individuals every year. The majority of these services are provided through our community outreach programs.
You want your child to know how much you love him, and I felt I couldn’t even communicate that to him. But he came here and something clicked. It’s like the Center discovered the missing pieces, and for that, I considered this place a blessing.
We have three primary community outreach programs: the Community Language/Literacy Impact Program, Hearing Services Bank, and our Assistance Fund.
Community Language/Literacy Impact Program (CLIP)
CSHC’s Community Language/Literacy Impact Program (CLIP) promotes kindergarten readiness for low-income and at-risk children ages 3-5 years to set the stage for future academic success. Through long-standing, as well as new and emerging, partnerships, our program reaches areas where the resources are scarce but the need is high.
CLIP uses a threefold approach to make a significant impact on the 2000+ preschool aged children served each year:
- Prevention consists of providing training and workshops to approximately 550 caregivers who work with children to build and strengthen key language and early literacy skills in the home and childcare environment.
- Early Identification Services identifies children with developmental delays and connects them with the help they need before they fall behind in school. Each year we provide approximately 1800 screenings, most provided at no cost, for children in the Charlotte and Monroe areas.
- Intervention includes direct individual treatment as well as inclusion (natural environment) services in the classroom setting focusing on improving vocabulary, phonological awareness and other critical skills.
Hearing Services Bank
Our Hearing Services Bank is absolutely unique within the 10-county Charlotte Metro Area. Charlotte Speech and Hearing Center has been providing access to excellent clinical care and state of the art technology to individuals of all income levels for nearly 50 years. What most hearing healthcare facilities charge thousands for we can offer for under $100 to ensure that everyone in our reach has access to high-quality hearing healthcare. As Medicare and most insurance plans do not cover hearing aids and related services, and hearing loss effects nearly 1 in 5 individuals, our services are invaluable to many in our community.
Our assistance fund allows low-income families to have access to high-quality services they couldn’t otherwise afford by offering significantly discounted pricing for speech-language therapy services. These discounts provide a life-line to families who do not have insurance coverage for services or who have steep deductible or co-pay requirement that would otherwise put services for their child out of reach.
At CSHC we are proud to partner with many wonderful organizations that have goals and a mission similar to ours and that help us maximize the reach of our programs and impact on our community.
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Libraries
- Read Charlotte
- United Way of Central Carolinas
- Share Charlotte
- Alexander Youth Network
- Bethlehem Center Head Start
- Charlotte Bilingual Preschool
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- Howard Levine Child Development Center
- Lakewood Preschool
- Milestone Therapy
- North Carolina’s Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Program
- North Carolina Telecoil Program
- Renaissance West Community Initiative
- Council on Aging
- Child Care Resources, Inc.
- The Learning Collaborative
- Veritas Charter School
- Charlotte Secondary Charter School