There are so many reasons to volunteer your time, energy, and knowledge. Volunteering can give your mind, soul, heart, and body a jumpstart. When you volunteer, you get as much out of it as you put into it; and often, you get a whole lot more.
At CSHC we love volunteers! Volunteers are a wonderful resource that helps us meet our mission and provide additional services to those in need. However, we have currently filled all of our summer volunteer positions. Please check back in the Fall for updated volunteer opportunities.
- Every volunteer, including students, must fill out a volunteer application and submit it as instructed. We will follow up with you in a timely manner. We are unable to answer questions via telephone; no phone calls, please.
- We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of 4 hours per week.
- Volunteers who interact with clients in some cases will be required to submit to a background check.
- Volunteers need to be appropriately dressed and conduct themselves in a professional manner.
Charlotte Speech and Hearing Center does not currently have any volunteer needs. All of our summer volunteer positions have been filled. Please check back in the Fall for updated volunteer opportunities.
Interns and Students Interested in the Field of Speech and Hearing
We are contacted by many students and graduate schools interested in participating in our program through observation and/or internships. While we love to support the growth of new professionals in our field our priority is the quality of care given to our clients. We try to minimize disruptions in routine and frequent observations by different people and have developed the following guidelines:
- Graduate students needing clinical hours and committing to a full semester internship will be given priority. Students who have previously volunteered here will be given priority over others.
- Undergraduate students needing summer observation hours will be considered only if they are willing to volunteer as well. Total time commitment needs to be at least 4 hours per week. We cannot guarantee a certain number of hours but will try to involve you in therapy where it benefits the client and set up observation of therapy or evaluations where it does not interfere with the client or family. The number of interns we currently have and your availability are factors in when we allow students to volunteer and observe. Please note this is a competitive program. An application and interview are required.
- Students of any level who would like to volunteer throughout the school year and have no hour observation requirement are welcome to apply. We ask that you commit to volunteering 4 hours per week. We will do our best to also involve you in therapy when appropriate and allow you the opportunity to observe and speak to other SLPs/audiologists around your volunteer time. And of course, when you are in need of hours down the road we will do our best to meet the needs of former volunteers.