How To Help
- Each year we provide approximately 1,000 speech-language or hearing screenings to preschoolers in our community. Our Step Ahead program is the only one that provides free, mass speech-language and hearing screenings at childcare facilities in Mecklenburg County. It is well documented that early identification of developmental delays before the age of 5 is critical for school success.
- We have provided free speech-language services to many homeless families at Charlotte Emergency Housing in the last year and have instituted a “Meals Matter” program to better reach out to families with young children.
- Our Hearing Services Bank (HSB) has provided over 1,500 free hearing aids to low-income children and seniors who otherwise would face a disabling communication disorder with many adverse consequences.
- Our Language and Literacy programs at preschools in underserved neighborhoods serve over 300 children each year. This is a pro-active program that provides at-risk children with a strong foundation to build their academic careers on.
- Our Financial Assistance Fund provides free or reduced cost speech language services to low-income individuals with communication disorders in our community. We serve over 2,000 children every year at Charlotte Speech and Hearing Center.